Sunday, January 5, 2014

"So Bad It's Good!"

My generation (dubbed "X" all those years ago) is supposedly big on appreciating popular culture ironically. I've never been a big fan of the concept of anything being "so bad it's good." I don't buy that. Life is short. Are you really going to spend your precisious lesiure time mocking something that's bad? Why? There's enough good stuff in the world to keep your days and nights full of rewarding and interesting content.

I remember seeing The Rocky Horror Picture Show described as "so bad it's good" which is a crazy statement. Rocky Horror is a GOOD movie, possibly a great one. It's incredibly entertaining and original and memorable - it's just weird. Weird sometimes freaks people out and they have a hard time processing that something that doesn't look or feel like what they expect things to look like or feel like. Now less than it did back then, but still.

Anyway, there's a movie called The Room that people like to go out of their way to watch just to make fun of.  I can't speak as an expert on the subject because I haven't seen it so when I call it a bad movie, I'm going on what I've heard. Now, I hate to sound like a prig, but I can't think of anything less fun to do for 100 minutes than sit through a bad movie just to make fun of it. (I was never a MST3K fan, but I give them a pass because it was obvious they had a genuine affection for schlocky 50's flicks).

Again, I haven't seen The Room, I'm just going on what I've heard. And I don't begrudge people having a good time -  but going out of your way to watch a bad movie just to make fun of it is just not a good time I understand.  If someone reads this (Ha) and can explain the phenomenon please feel free. I'm willing to have my mind changed.

Damn, this came across a lot more scoldy than it sounded in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment