Monday, December 9, 2013

The Running Man

I run.

It's what I do for exercise.

People are supposed to get a certain amount of physical activity. I choose to run. Why? I can't get my ass to a gym and as far as I'm concerned only lunatics ride bikes on Los Angeles streets. You take your life in your own hands in a car as it is, I'm not about to risk becoming the hood ornament of some stoned manchld who's flipping through Spotify on his iphone while he drives into the setting sun on his way to the weekly visit to the medical marijuana dispensary. I'd like to go out with a touch more dignity than that.

So I run. More precisely, I alternate running and walking each day. We live in one of the most beautiful places in Los Angeles and my walks take me through canyons and over hills and trails and windy mystery streets where there are no architectural rules. I can disappear for three hours at a time on these walks depending on my work load.

But every other day I run. I have a .6 mile track nearby that's pretty nice. Compact dirt, far enough away from cars that the exhaust doesn't seem to be an immediate issue. The weather, of course, is usually nice and I rarely have to deal with the crowds (and never the attitude) of the Silver Lake resevoir, which is a prettier, more satisfying run, but frought with frustrations. Let me just throw this out there - I think it's great you're walking your dog(s). I how how much pets mean to people, but is the 30 foot leash really necessary? Could we maybe share the path? No? Sorry, didn't mean to bother you there.

I digress.

I don't like running. At all. I like the way it makes me feel when I'm done and I like the fact that I am noticably better off for sticking with it for the last four years. I feel better, I look better.

But my god, I don't like running.

It is sheer tedium. In the four years I've been running 6 miles every othe day, how many times have I been around that damn track? I could do the math, but I really don't want to know. I thought by now I'd like it, but at best I just accept that it's what I do and to man up and power through it without complaint. It amazes me that people enjoy it but I'm sure people are amazed (if not horrified) by some of the things I enjoy doing.

I thought i would enjoy it by now. People in Nike commercials always seem so happy. Either I don't have the athlete gene or Nike commercials are lies.

Probably both.

No comments:

Post a Comment