Thursday, September 5, 2013

Hello blogsphere

Is that still what they call it? I remember the first time i heard about "blogging" back in 2000 or so. I was still living in our horrible apartment mere feet from the 101 freeway in Los Angeles. I remember because I was cleaning the black soot that would accumulate on our window sills every week from the incessant nearby traffic when I heard the report about "blogging" on NPR.

"Hm," I thought, "This sounds important. I should commence blogging at once."

Then something distracted me and here it is 13 years later.

Now I'm a writer. I have made a living (sometimes more handsome than other times) as a writer since I left college mumble mumble years ago. I have worked in advertising, written for live sketch comedy, magazines, trade shows, trade publications, websites, movies, television and clay puppets. However, in the last 13 years I have not been able to maintain a consistent blogging presence.

Why? I like to kid myself that it's my midwestern modesty. My "aw shucks, I ain't worth makin' no fuss over, ma'am" attitude. And to be honest, I really do feel that way. Recently a friend told me that as a writer I NEED an online presence to promote my brand.

"What if part of my 'brand' is that I'm not comfortable blogging? Isn't that a thing?" I asked.

She thought I was joking, tussled what's left of my hair and told me to blog. Blog like my life depended on it.

So here goes.

I have written (and will continue to edit/change/manipulate/fold/spindle/etc) a middle grades novel called THE INCREASINGLY PREPOSTEROUS ADVENTURES OF ATTICUS SWEENY. This blog is about my adventure in trying to get it published. I am, if nothing else, determined to make this happen. 12 years ago I wanted to be a screenwriter  and I set out to do whatever it took to make that a reality and it worked out really well.

So onward into this new adventure and the blog about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment